So you’ve got your Windows 7 copy but are totally unaware that you need to activate your Windows 7 as early as possible in order to make the maximum use of it. Every Windows 7 Genuine DVD comes with a Product key that you need to use to activate it online.
Why is activation of Windows 7 important ?
If you don’t activate your Windows 7 within a given period of time then it may disable some of the important features showing you regular message notifications such as “version of Windows is Not Genuine, you may have been a victim of Software Piracy” and can also remove your wallpaper making your desktop black showing a watermark on bottom left mentioning Build 7600 “This copy is not genuine”.
If you are experiencing same trouble then follow the steps below and activate your Windows 7 as early as possible.
Steps to be followed to activate Windows 7 with your original Product Key
1. If you bought a separate DVD of Windows 7 then search for its 25 digit Product Key serial inside the box. If you are reinstalling your Windows on your laptop which already came with Windows 7 (OEM) then look for product serial key sticker on its back.
2. Once you’ve found your Product Key, press Windows + Pause/Break button together or just open System Properties by going to Control Panel –> System and Security –> System . It’ll open up System Properties Window.
3. Just look at the bottom of the Window for a link to activate Windows (show below). The link will show you the number of days left to activate Windows. Just Click on that and it’ll open another Window asking if you want to “Activate Windows Online” or “Ask me later”.
4. Click on the first option. It’ll open up another Window asking you to enter your Product Key. Enter your 25 digit Product key serial you got from step 1 and press Enter.
5. It’ll show you another Window with message “Activating Windows” “The product key is being verified”. Once it is done verifying, another Window will show you message “Activation was successful”. Just close the Window and you are done!
Things you should know before activating Windows 7
Make sure that you are connected to internet, do not activate Windows 7 offline.
Do not use any sort of Windows 7 Product Key generators which may label your Windows as pirated and can devoid you of important security updates without which your system can be vulnerable to virus attacks etc.
If by activating online you get Error Code 0x80072F8F (Security Error), then just make sure you are connected to internet. If nothing works then re-install Windows and try again.