If you own an iPhone or an iPod then you must be knowing that you can sync your iTunes song library only on one computer. Now what if you buy a new laptop computer then how would you sync your songs, photos, videos, contacts etc from it.
Basically when you install iTunes on your new laptop it’ll build a new library and all your data on your iPhone or iPod will be erased and synced to new data on that laptop computer. In order to transfer your old iTunes library follow simple steps below -
Steps to transfer iTunes song Library from one computer to another
1. Install Apple iTunes on your new laptop computer. If you don’t have the setup on your old computer you can download latest version of iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes
2. Depending you your iTunes library you may require few blank CDs or DVDs in order to transfer the content of the library to the discs.
3. On your old computer open iTunes and then from the File menu select “Back up to disc”
4. Now you’ll be shown some options whether you want to backup all of your iTunes library or just a part of it. Decide and select the given options as per your requirements. If you want to backup full library then select the first option to Backup entire iTunes library and press “Back up” button.
5. iTunes will prompt you to insert blank DVDs or CDs into your DVD ROM and will burn the files in it. If your data is too much, then it’ll burn it in multiple discs. It’ll automatically prompt you to insert next disc. Make sure that you do not eject the disc while iTunes is burning data in it.
6. Now once the iTunes in your old computer has finished burning the Library discs, just open iTunes and insert the first disc into the DVD ROM of your new computer. When iTunes prompts, click on the Restore button. Insert the next disc when it prompts. You are done!
Now when you plug in your iPhone or iPod into your new computer it’ll sync it with the old data which you use to sync on your old computer without deleting any of the content on your phone or your laptop.
You can add any new photos, songs, videos, contacts etc on your new computer and it’ll be in sync with your iPod or iPhone (or iPad)